There are several methods of how to screenshot on laptop for Windows and MacOS operating systems.
The easiest way to screenshot on laptop is to press the popular Print Screen (PrtSc SysRq) button on the keyboard for Windows users.
In our previous Ask ScholarsOwl guide, we shared How to Set up HTTPS Everywhere in Your Browser by Default. The internet is fast revolving to a more secure environment for internet users. As such, it is a better practice to turn on HTTPS everywhere in your browser. Go ahead and read the article for further guideline.
Table of Contents
Several Methods on How to Take Screenshot on Laptop.
The print screen button is on the keyboard. It is mostly abbreviated with just “PrtScn”. Anywhere you see this button, it simply functions as a major button for easy screenshot.
The PrtScn button when pressed, can copy the active screen to your clipboard. You can then paste it on any application you wish to use the screenshot on. This usually copy as a PNG file.
The PrtScn button is usually found in between F12 and Scroll Lock keys. On some laptops, the Print Screen button might be combined with another button, but it is the same function as the one that is on its own. Am sure you will agree with me that, it is just to manage the space and for convenience sake.
Saving your screenshot as a file on laptops.
Press and hold the Windows key together with the Print Screen key to save a screenshot file. On some laptops, you will be required to press these key combination > Windows+Fn+PrtScn.
For Windows 10 tablet or 2-in-1 convertible PC users, it is understood that you guys don’t have a keyboard. So press Power+Volume Down to take a screenshot. But in cases where you have the Windows key, press the Windows+Volume Down instead.
By using Snip & Sketch tool to take screenshots on Windows Laptops.
The snip and sketch tool is available only to Windows users. In order to turn on the snip & sketch tool, Windows+Shift+S. This will bring up the various functions on the tool for you to take screenshot on your laptop.
Features of snip & sketch tool on Windows Laptops.
- Rectangular snip: this function will allow you to draw a rectangular shape on the target position you intend to take screenshot.
- Freeform snip: this feature will allow you to draw a random shape on the part on which you intend to take screenshot.
- Window snip: you can position your cursor on any active window to take screenshot
- Fullscreen snip: the fullscreen snip allows you to take screenshot on the entire screen.
- Close snip: this is more like closing the snip and sketch tool. You can press the ESC key on the keyboard to close the tool.
How to take screenshots on Mac Laptops.
The MacOS have made taking screenshots on its laptops very easy. I will show you how to take screenshots on Mac laptops.
- Select Launchpad
- Click on Other
- Then select Screenshot to take screenshots on Mac laptops.
Features of Mac Screenshot tool.
- Capture Entire Screen: this allows you to take screenshot of the entire active screen.
- Capture Selected Window: this function will allow you to capture only a particular selected Window.
- Capture Selected Portion: this is my favourite option, because, it will allow you to take screenshot on any active screen as per your selection.
- Record Entire Screen: the record entire screen option allows you to create a .MOV file. This means, your screenshot will capture and create a movie/video then save it to your computer.
- Record Selected Portion: this is similar to the “capture selected portion” feature. It allows you to choose a particular portion then record and create a video format for you. This enables you to achieve a focused video screenshot.
There are other free and paid softwares on the internet to use to Screenshot on Laptop, on both Windows and MacBook laptops.
But the options I listed herein, are the easiest method on how to screenshot on laptop.
Am sure this helps? Cheers.